Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mudroom: The Reveal!


So the moment you have all been waiting for... ok, the moment I have been waiting for. Dear Husband (DH) and I have finally finished decorating our first room, even if it is just a closet.

It wasn't without it's hitches though. After all the painting was complete, it came time to install all the pieces we bought for it. We have a shelf/rack, a bench, and some wall organizers. (You may remember the organizers from a previous post.) I had already assembled the bench and coat rack, and just needed to install them.

The bench fit perfectly, no problem. The shelf was a different story. When I bought the shelf online, I looked at the finished dimensions and knew it would be one inch too long for the closet. No problem... looking at the design, the top piece extended out and I could cut 3/4 of an inch off either side to give me 1/4 inch of wiggle room on either side to install it. (Think about that one for a second.) So before I assembled it, I measured twice and cut. I even took that longer piece that I had cut into the closet and made sure it fit. Check.

But.... I didn't take into account the door frame. *Head smack* While all the parts fit easily in the closet, the door frame is narrower. When the shelf was fully assembled, it was too tall to insert vertically then turn horizontally to install. The diagonal length of the shelf was longer than the closet is wide.

I had a "boat in the basement" problem. Crud. Except I actually wanted this particular boat (the shelf) to end up in the basement (the closet.) Needless to say I ended up taking apart the shelf, putting all the pieces in the closet, then re-assembled the whole thing inside the closet. Did I mention that this shelf is HEAVY? I had two screws left over because I didn't have the physical room to screw them into the sides of the shelf. (So I supplemented with a couple of tiny "L" brackets.)


























Anyway, in the end I finally got it all together and we LOVE the way it looks. Finally the first room that is fully organized and decorated in our style! (And even with a flat ceiling!)

1 comment: