Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Felling of the Trees!

Before you ask, yes, "felling" is a real word... no, I did not mean to type "falling."

I don't think I realized how big of a difference trees make until now. I am sad to see them go, but I am glad they are gone. You see, I love trees. They give oxygen, scenery, wildlife sanctuaries, and great shade. (The last of which being very important for an alabaster skin tone like mine.)
 Here was the biggest culprit: a rocket juniper that some (insert derogatory word here) planted WAY too close to the house. It is hard to tell, but the house is actually inside of the tree. This caused poor airflow, and in combination with a Northern exposure, led to slight molding/rotting of the window frame that it covered. It had to go!

Before:                                                                                       After:






















Note to self: add "ugly hose reel" to project list... check
They also pruned off that branch in the upper left side of the picture, as it was hanging over the house.

Next was the persistent cottonwood in the dog kennel. I'm guessing it was a "volunteer" tree,  because who would plant a tree that can grow over 100 ft tall, only 5 feet from a house.

Before:                                                                                       After:






















Yay! No more tree whacking against the house! (Don't mind the doggie poo bag...)

And for the finale... The big tree in back. I felt guilty for cutting this one down because it was so big and beautiful. Then Spring came around.
As the weather got warmer, the new green buds came out... on 1/4 of the tree. The other 3/4 of the tree was dead. Whew! That took a load off my mind.

Before:                                                                                       After:








Yeah, I know our house is shaped funny, I don't know what that's all about.

But I think it looks so much better and safer. Now we won't have branches screeching against the gutters on windy nights! And now that the trees are gone, we can get the roof replaced! It's never finished is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment