Sunday, October 27, 2013

Fall Cleanup

Well, it is that time of year again. 
With the cooler weather upon us, I have been scrambling to get the garden all cleaned up and ready for winter. Here is what I had to deal with at the end of the season: Huge tomato plants with lots and lots of green tomatoes. Also tons of marigolds and a few giant artichoke plants to pull up. Whew! At least Eva was there to help!
You may have noticed the pavers now surrounding the raised beds...
My poor Dear Husband (DH), he is such a trooper. I carefully calculated how many I would need, added in a couple extra just in case, and submited my order online.
I know 140 pavers is a lot, I just didn't realize how much until we went to pick them up at the home improvement store. Holy cow.
We had brought both our cars because I knew we would have to make multiple trips due to the weight.
It turned out to be 3 trips back and forth with both cars... that's 6 car-loads. I am starting to think the $60 delivery fee may have been worth it.

We didn't have time to sink them level with the lawn, so they are just sitting on top for now until next season. As you can see to the left, two of my raised beds are a little close together, so I will have to chisel those blocks smaller next year.

So after plucking off all the green and red tomatoes, DH helped me pull out the plants and toss them into the trash. I would have composed them, but they had some spots and yellowing leaves at the end of the season.


After clearing all the plants from their beds, I raked the soil smooth and spread some "cover crop" seeds. I planted winter rye which should germinate a little before the snow comes, then spring back to life when the weather warms back up. Cover crops help to keep the soil from eroding, keep it aerated, and return nutrients when they are turned under in the spring.

In one area, (to the left of the "line") I planted my garlic and shallot bulbs. They are like flower bulbs, and like to over-winter in the frozen soil.

While it is sad to see the garden sleeping in their beds, it will be nice to have a break, and a chance to get some things done inside the house!

I still had one problem... our kitchen counters looked like this: 














Wow, that is a lot of green tomatoes... why bother, you ask? Well let me share. Here is how I am storing the green ones. Yes, with a banana. As it ripens, the banana releases ethylene gas which makes other fruits ripen as well. Just make sure the check it every few days, and replace the banana when it gets too old! 

So what to do with the ripe ones? Marinara sauce!
Here is Mom and Sister X helping to make a whole bunch of soups and stews on our "Stewper Sunday."
More on that next post!





No comments:

Post a Comment