Thursday, April 17, 2014

Planting Peas!

This always happens... I bought the wrong type of seeds.
Well, I did and I didn't. I wanted sugar snap peas, but I didn't do my research.

Having never grown sugar snap peas before, I didn't realized they were a vine rather than a bush. Oops.

So I quickly improvised a support structure with materials I had on hand. A couple poles and some chicken wire later, and we have a passable pea support. Whew, that was a close one!

Since peas are a spring crop I went ahead and planted them when we had a week of 40-50 degree weather. It seemed like Spring was finally on it's way!

Eva was very helpful as usual, trying to lick my face as I was trying to get a few photos, so she usually gets captured in the pictures.

Here you can see the improvised pea support, and the furrow I dug to plant the seeds. As I was planting, I spilled a few seeds and Eva was kind enough to swoop in and clean up my mess, crunching on a dried pea seed before I scooped up the rest. (Oy!)
She always keeps a close eye on what I'm doing!


Eva has been loving "Spring" and has chased after a couple more rabbits. So far they have evaded her by scooting under the fence just in time. I can't decide if I actually want her to catch them. It would mean no more rabbits eating my garden, but on the other hand I don't want her killing things and I would have to clean it up. Either way I don't want them around, so I have done my best to fix the hole in the fence and fill in their burrows under our shed. I kind of feel like Mr. McGregor from Peter Rabbit....



Anyway, the shallots (left) and garlic (below) have sprouted! They are 4-6" tall already, but I keep straw around them to *try* and protect them from the frosts.








I just sprinkled some Nitrogen-rich fertilizer to help them produce more leaves. More nitrogen = more leaves = more energy from the sun = larger bulbs! But you don't want to apply that kind of fertilizer past the first week of May because then the plant will focus on growing leaves instead of tasty bulbs.


... then the next day it snowed. Ah well, that is the life of gardening in April.












No comments:

Post a Comment