Sunday, March 1, 2015

Hot Irons and Cold Ice

Hot Irons:

This next project I worked on was so quick, I forgot to take pictures along the way.
What is it? A tray-table ironing board!

I have a little secret... I only have 3 shirts that need ironing. That's it. Nothing else.

Yes, I know how to iron (thanks, Mom!) and while I don't love it, I don't mind it either. It's just that the result is not worth the time and effort.

The biggest pain for me is trying to set up our cheapo half-broken ironing board. I know I could just get a better one, but it hardly ever gets used! 

As I am interested in trying my hand at a bit more sewing, I needed something small and convenient.  
I followed this tutorial from American Quilting which was super simple.

They used "insulated batting" but I couldn't find that. So to protect the wood and batting, I bought some "ironing board cover fabric." (I didn't know that existed until this project!)

So I placed the decorative fabric face-down on the floor, then the insulating fabric, then the batting, then placed the tray upsideown on top of all that. 
 
A little bit of folding, tucking, and stapeling later and it was complete!

 

I might have a bit too much batting because the iron isn't very stable when standing on it, but that is just a lesson learned.



 





So what about the "Cold as Ice?"

A few weekends ago, our little downtown hosted their annual ice-fest and brought in some AMAZING ice sculptors. That was the one warm weekend we have had, and many of the sculptures suffered but I got some great shots!

 


























No comments:

Post a Comment