Friday, April 24, 2015

Reuse, Recover


A few months ago, SisX and I got to spend an afternoon wandering through an antique mall.
We saw lots of interesting items, and even picked up a couple to take home.

One of my finds was a vanity bench. I took a risk because I wasn't sure if it would quite fit, but I lucked out and it turned out being perfect.

The seller had already painted the wood black and re-upholstered the seat with a striped fabric.
The black worked with our decorating scheme, the stripes... not so much.

I knew it would be easy enough to re-cover, but I didn't expect it would be THIS easy!

First, with the help of Dear Husband (DH) we picked out a new fabric to use. We opted for a sturdy home-decorating fabric. Usually it can run $25-$30 per yard. We needed less than a yard, and I had a coupon that I intended to use, but home decor fabric was on sale, and we got enough fabric to re-cover this mini bench for just under $6. Score!

It took me a while to get around to the project, but once I started it only took 30-45 min.

Sometimes you want to remove the previous fabric, but in this case I didn't need to. The new fabric was thick enough so you couldn't see the old pattern through, and it wasn't too bulky so I could still staple through it.


The key here was trying to center the pattern of the fabric on the seat. While not perfect, I got it pretty close.

After stapling it on, I just had to screw it back into the base, and it was done!

Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.















I also finished another, much smaller project that had been on my mind lately.
I have been wanting to create a "mini-memorial" for my childhood dog, Pete.

Pete was our first family dog, and came into my life when I needed him most.
He was with us for 13 great years and taught us so much. Eventually he lost almost all hearing, most of his eyesight, and ached with arthritis. Once he started having more bad days than good, we knew it was time to peacefully let him go.

Pete was never a big fan of other dogs, but he was able to meet puppy-Eva twice and actually tolerated her quite well. That was more that acceptance, and it was as if Pete had approved of Eva and passed off the reins. Eva even has a small white patch of fur on her chest that is a little softer than the rest of her fur... I like to think of it as her "Pete-approved" patch.



Eva was looking pretty shaggy, so I slowly got her used to a pair of clippers to trim her fur. I trained her slowly, so she looked pretty silly for a few days while I only had her hindquarters trimmed.

Today she was lamenting about the hail and rain outside, but she is looking pretty cute with her Spring trim!





No comments:

Post a Comment