Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Project List

Christmas seems like forever ago, but I have still been working on getting the house straightened up and cleaned! There are so many projects and activities that I want to accomplish, sometimes the house becomes a disaster zone.
So I am going to try something... a list.
I know, I know... I have lists all over the place for different things, in various stages of completion. A list is nothing new. 
But this list is going to be different: It is going to have rules.

1. Only project related tasks
This will prevent me from putting routine to-do's on the list which just end up clogging it up. Not allowed on the list include: clean bathrooms, stop at bank, fold laundry, water plants, plan menu, etc.  These items have to get done anyway, and can go on a short-term "to-do" list.

2. Projects are listed in order of priority
It doesn't matter if the project is big or small, expensive or free... pretending that we have unlimited time and budget, the projects will be listed in the order that they would ideally get done. Some projects may have a "due date" like a birthday, holiday, or gardening season. Put these higher on the list, in order of their due-date.

3. Projects will be worked from the top of the list, down
(Starting with the highest priority.)


4. If unable to work on the "top" project, work on the next one down.
Some reasons you might be unable to work on a project: need materials (put on shopping list), not enough consecutive time, need to save up $, etc. Please note that the inability to make a decision (color, size, shape, etc.) is NOT a reason to work on the next project!

5. Re-ordering the project list is (almost) never allowed.
Exceptions include: adding a new item (which will be inserted in the appropriate order), or an approaching deadline (i.e. must plant bulbs before winter, want to make something before a party or holiday... etc.)

First I wrote out the whole list of projects I have flying around in my head, and put each item on a punched out tag. (This is the first punch I have ever bought and I love it already!)

Then I cut up some foam-core board I had lying around, and covered it with some black felt that was also hanging out. I would have loved a prettier fabric, but didn't have any scraps large enough. I used Elmer's spray adhesive which worked miracles!

Creating some labels (which I taped to the felt), I began to put some of the projects in order.
I quickly realized I had WAY too many, so I created a "Don't even worry about it" category. These are projects that are much farther down the line. I turned them to face the board so I wouldn't even think about them. As I complete projects, they go under the "Complete!" label and I will replace it with another from the "Don't even worry about it" category.

We will have to see how well this system works, but I am going to give it a shot!



No comments:

Post a Comment