Monday, June 23, 2014

Busy Bees Making... Jam?

A couple weeks ago Dear Husband (DH) and I were blessed with the chance to host his parents and Grandpa H (GPaH) for a fabulous weekend. 

We had a fantastic time and did so many things! We ate at a couple of great local restaurants, tried a few beer/wine tastings, checked out the carousel, found a great spot to view Lake Michigan, and were busy bees at home grilling and canning. Whew!



I didn't take any pictures while we were out, but Mom-in-law (MIL) got some great ones in the fun-house by the carousel.

At home, GPaH inspected my garden and I think he approved... (he even says he brags about it!) A few months ago he had sent me some pepper seeds, and I had just planted the seedlings I grew in the raised beds. So far they are surviving, but it hasn't been hot enough for them to thrive. 

One of the big activities I planned for the weekend was canning some jam. I have almost zero experience with canning. When I was thirteen I helped my Nana make a fantastic Strawberry Rhubarb jam, but that's all I have ever canned. I have been wanting to make that jam again for a long time, but was never brave enough. That's where GPaH and MIL come in. 

Both have more canning experience than me, so MIL lent a much needed extra set of hands while GPaH supervised and offered handy tricks and tips.
The jam turned out really sweet, but really good. Everyone approved of it on the next morning's English muffins! 

Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Jam:
- 6 Cups diced rhubarb
- 3 Cups white sugar
- 1 package Strawberry Jell-O (3 oz) 

1. Prep and dice rhubarb (remove leaves and base of stalk, skin if needed, and dice)
2. Combine rhubarb and sugar. Let sit for at least 3 hours (or overnight). This helps soften and take the water out of the rhubarb, evidently called "macerating." (see right)
3. Bring the rhubarb/sugar to a boil over medium heat. 
4. Reduce heat to low, and stir constantly for 12 min. 
5. Break down the rhubarb a little bit more with a potato masher. This depends on how chunky you like your jam. 
6. Remove from heat and stir in dry gelatin mix.
7. Transfer to hot, sterile canning jars leaving a "head space" of 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch.
8. You can either let them cool and store in the refrigerator, or process them in boiling water for 10-13 min. and store in the pantry. (I processed them so I could gift them.)


GPaH also supervised the guys making hot-wings from scratch. I think they even smoked them over hickory chips! They were really good, and they were HOT! Almost too hot for me but I have a bland, Midwest palate. Great job men, definitely a repeat!




No comments:

Post a Comment