Tuesday, October 21, 2014

BOO!

Since we bought our house, I have slowly but surely been creating and collecting holiday decorations.
Yes I had some before, but a house is much larger than an apartment which means more space to decorate! I am trying to focus on decorating just 2 or 3 areas for each holiday so I don't drive myself crazy trying to get everything set up before the holiday actually happens.
Each season I try to make / buy 2-3 small decorations so I am picking things I truly like and not just because I feel like I need to fill the space.

For Halloween this year I bought some fake, plastic chains and pumpkins that can be reused every year.
As for something crafty, I saw a great idea (on Pinterest of course) to transform wooden letters into a cute door-hanger. I found the letters at Meijer for $2-something a piece, picked up some glitter and ribbon, then headed home to get messy.

Inside my basement spray-booth (a large cardboard box with plastic draped over it) I hung up the letters on a hanger. It took quite a few rounds to do this project because I could only paint one letter at a time and had to re-position and spray paint them multiple times because of all the different sides. 

I started with a basic gray primer, then moved on to a semi-gloss black (because I happened to have it on hand already.)  








Once I had all the letters primed and painted black, it was time to glitter them!
I watered down some regular Elmer's glue, and washed a thin layer on just the top surface. Ok, so I ended up watering it down too much, but I have learned my lesson.

Then I liberally sprinkled the glitter on, which of course got everywhere!
Below, the "O" is glittered and the "B" is waiting to get it's bling.

After they were all glittered and the glue dried, I sprayed them with a clear, semigloss topcoat to seal in the glitter. That way I'm not constantly tracking it around the house or getting covered every time you walk by it. Dear Husband (DH) hates anything glittery for this reason alone.

After most of the glitter had been sealed on, I got the orange ribbon out to tie everything together. Easy peasy! Nothing special, just a few cute bows and we were in business. I didn't even have to nail anything into to letters because I just looped and tied the ribbon right onto the letters. Eva was helping, but tuckered out just as we finished!

Since there is already a nail on our front door (from the previous owners) I just included a loop/bow on the top to hang on the nail.

Voila!









No comments:

Post a Comment